Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Us in Ohio...well, right now


Hi, I am Meg one of the orgnanizers. My name is Michelle. But, on here and between Mag and I am Meg...
This picture is from Mother's Day. I am much bigger now. Think bus + house!!! Our trip is going to be long and last all of July. We live in Ohio. BUT, moved here only last year. After we moved here they started prosecuting homebirth midwives as felons. We only ever had homebirths. So when we got pregnant, (darn that Long Island Iced Tea) we weighed our options and decided that it was important enough to us to have another homebirth with legally acceptable help. So we are taking a trip to CA to live with my dear friend and midwife and have a homebirth. Sometime in July, I am due June 29th. This will be one vacation we will never forget. Along the way we aren't stopping. But, once we get there play in our homestate near San Francisco and head home we will be making many stops. Those new babes have to eat every 2 hours you know. From the Bay area we will hit Medford, Oregon then, Seattle, WA then Mag's house in Spokane, WA, then Lakeside, MT to see my parents, then home. We have friends in all the other places. It will be a very memorable trip with amazing before and after pics. Also my husband thinks it will be so much fun to be able to say: Look here is a picture of Michelle nursing at Yellowstone, here is a picture of Michelle nursing in Eureka, here is Michelle nursing by the side of the road. I think I prefer the Look here is Ryan changing a diaper at the fish market, here is Ryan changing another diaper at the Denny's parking lot and so on! At any rate I am trying to keep a positive attitude because I wake up thinking we are CRAZY! They have all kinds of travel now, I wonder what you call birth travel? If there is an odd number of you all participating than I will sit back and facilitate. Otherwise one of you needs to be very understanding and will be paired with me!! Happy Swapping, we are so excited for round 2!

4 comments:

JessTrev said...

OK, that is one amazing story. I love that you are going to be able to have the birth you want, and I am astonished that the state of Ohio is so aggressively curtailing midwifery and home births. Here in DC they just crush those types of practices by default (the old fashioned way by raising insurance rates through the roof and revoking hospital privileges and so forth). Sheesh, I am thrilled that you have a place to stay and so impressed by your resolve. Can't wait to hear about the Baby Road Trip to end all road trips!

Liz said...

Good for you to find a way to do what is right for you and your family!

girlwithmoxy said...

Bring it on brave sister. And I'd be happy to be paired with you any day! :) I had no idea Mag was from Spokane! My parents live there and I grew up in Yakima. (how I ended up in Alabama is a long and tragic story, well, not tragic, but sad because I miss mountains . . . ) anyhoo, hope your delivery goes beautifully, your baby is healthy and strong, and you're on the road again and enjoying life!

Shelly said...

Have a great trip and safe birth...I would love to become a midwife myself.I think all the places that train are pretty far from me. Maybe when the kids are grown...